[VHFcontesting] "Preventing" grid circling

To: VHFcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] "Preventing" grid circling
From: "John (JK) Kalenowsky, K9JK" <k9jk73@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 10:06:53 -0600
Hey Gang,

Rather than PREVENTING Grid Circling/Pack Roving by implementing a Post Contest PENALTY for these practices...how about a scoring provision that reduces or removes the Reward (score) for repeated Rover-to-Rover contacts over _trivial distances_?

The "QSO Point change" proposed in the "Request For Comments" _already_ suggests a distinction in Point Value for contacts "with your own grid and any adjacent grid" versus contacts "beyond that." (See Footnote 1 below my .sig.)

What if *ONLY ONE* "Rover-to-Rover" contact (per band) "with your own grid and any adjacent grid" received QSO Point Credit?

I WOULD, however, allow the "beyond that" Contacts between Rovers to receive the same QSO Point credit as NON-Rover-to-NON-Rover contacts. (See Footnote 2 below my .sig.)

This could be implemented EITHER on an entire contest basis (only ONE QSO Point Credit per band between one Rover station and another Rover station...for any location pairs that were in the same or adjacent grid) OR on a grid-by-grid basis for the rover (ONE QSO Point Credit between the rovers per band for each "MYGRID" that the respective Rover visits).

I believe this would greatly reduce incentive to Grid Circle or Pack Rove and might even abate the magnitude of Rover Scores that it would NOT be necessary to exclude them from Club Competition.

I believe this would also work best with the PRESENT Rover Multiplier Aggregation versus the "Rover Classic" method (a.k.a. "rover scoring rules originally established in 1991").

Thanks for reading...Comments?

73, JK, K9, that is... (OFTEN 'slash arrrgh')

Footnotes:

1. The shortest distance for "beyond that" at substantially populated latitudes is the N-S distance of one grid square, approx. 70 miles...UN-fortunately a 115 mile path is very possible within the same grid and a 240 mile path is possible between adjacent grids, ALSO NON-trivial distances, but the mechanics to implement a 'better' distance based provision would, I believe, really complicate the rules/scoring and end up discouraging 'more casual' operators).

2. A 'side' issue here is whether or not contacts on 50 MHz for "beyond that" distances should receive a higher point value than 50 MHz contacts "with your own grid and any adjacent grid"...other than the exclusion for repeated Rover-to-Rover contacts that I suggest, my opinion is that 50 MHz contacts, and maybe even 144 MHz contacts, should receive 1 QSO point...PERIOD.