Re: [VHFcontesting] re: Wouldn't it be cool if...

To: VHF <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] re: Wouldn't it be cool if...
From: Ev Tupis <w2ev@arrl.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 06:41:12 -0500
While I like that Ev is trying to "expand" the role that the utility
>> modes can play in contesting unfortunately its a mode that I'm likely
>>to never use unless a significant number of others in my  area begin
>> to show interest in it as well.  I have to look at things from a
>> "ROI" (return on investment) and would rather put another band on the
>> air than another mode of a band I'm already using.

Absolutly right on the mark, Mike. Utilities are there as "cream on the top".

On the other hand...it's an interesting "catch-22". Until there is activity, there won't be activity. :) The real power of the system is realized the first time an unexpected station pops up on your HamIM display. This happens mostly in Rover-to-Rover QSO's (some of the most difficult to accomplish if you *aren't* pack roving). I have an interesting HamIM story to share with the list (which I'll do shortly).

I simply wanted to echo your comments. By the same token, if one already has all of the bands that are active in their area, give HamIM a try (and let others know it so they can try it with you). At least in the case of HamIM, it is there to _support_ traditional contest qso's, _not_ take the place of them.

Regards,
Ev, W2EV