Re: [VHFcontesting] Getting small town hams involved

To: Dan Evans <n9rla@yahoo.com>,Erich Oetting KI0SK <ki0sk@arrl.net>, VHFcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Getting small town hams involved
From: John Geiger <johngeig@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 20:11:52 -0800 (PST)
Another part of the problem is that many hams are not
interested in contesting, or in operating in general.
Look at most local clubs.  How many members actually
show up to FD and operate.  Many don't show up at all,
and many that do are mainly there for the club picnic.
 Last year I went out to our local clubs FD at 4:30pm,
and at the main station they had 2 contacts in the
log.  Not exactly burning up the airwaves.

We try to promote contesting every which way,
especially VHF contesting, but most just don't care.
Some do get interested and that is great, but the
majority never will.  Maybe your club is different,
but I have belonged to 5 different clubs, and this is
the typical picture of 4 of them.  The other club was
formed by people who actually operated because they
got sick of the 2 local clubs that didnt.

Maybe a couple of good articles in QST about how
simple it is to get up on VHF contesting will help.  I
think that many people have the perception that you
have to have a brick amp and large antennas to do
anything on VHF.  After all, what kind of pictures
tend to get put in the VHF columns of magazines?  If
it would be repeated stressed that a FT100 or Icom 706
barefoot to a dipole on 6 and a small yagi on 2 and
70cm will get alot of attention, those people might
think twice.

73s JOhn NE0P