[VHFcontesting] Getting small town hams involved

To: "Erich Oetting KI0SK" <ki0sk@arrl.net>,<VHFcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Getting small town hams involved
From: "Dan Evans" <n9rla@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 22:27:12 -0500
> Any ideas on how to get small town hams to keep an ear out for us
> during contests?
>
>    73 de KI0SK (Erich)

I wish I did.  I'm afraid it all comes down to advertising.  Unfortunately,
there are a lot of hams [majority?] that do not spend any time on Internet
email reflectors, or subscribe to any magazines.  So it is difficult to get
the word out.  I do my best to advertise via other email lists, and chat it
up on local repeaters and such.  I've intended to travel to some local club
meetings [there are no clubs in my area] and do a VHF+ presentation but I
haven't found the time, as yet.  I think the club competitions could be a
big plus, but we need more clubs to get involved.  Using 146.52 would help,
but I can see where it might cause some problems as well.  Although I keep
146.52 programmed into memory on my rig at home that is usually scanning
whenever I'm in the shack, and it's a real rare occasion when I hear someone
there.

Field day is a good way to get your club involved.  How many of us here are
a part of, or in charge of, our clubs VHF+ Field day station?  Field day is
a great intro. to contesting, and a good place to show case VHF.

I often do the tail gate thing at local hamfests.   I have brought the
entire Rover setup to a few.  It would be nice if we had something like "an
intro. to VHF contesting" pamphlet to hand out.  That could be an
interesting project, any volunteers?

Now, back to planning my route for June:-)
73
Dan

Dan Evans K9ZF
Scottsburg, IN 47170