Re: [VHFcontesting] re: Wouldn't it be cool if...

To: Lee Hiers <aa4ga@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] re: Wouldn't it be cool if...
From: Mike Hasselbeck <mph@swcp.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 15:12:07 -0700 (MST)
> for everything I say.   Hey, I've played with many, if not most,
> modes out there over the years, including WSJT.  Some are more
> interesting than others, but the only ones that involve real operator
> skill - detection and decoding of the signal by the human brain - are
> phone and CW (and the argument that one can use a machine to read CW

This statement is totally contrary to my experience. I have made hundreds
of WSJT meteor scatter QSOs from home and the rover and in not one case
would I consider it to have been trivial, easy, or routine.  A great deal
of operator skill, experience, patience, and even luck are required.  A
computer is certainly involved, but it is only a tool the operator must
employ to decipher what are often tricky if not deceptive streams of data.
WSJT is most definitely NOT packet radio!  If operator skill is the issue
here, WSJT has to rank very high on the degree of difficulty.
Fortunately, the rules committee recognizes this and rightly allows the
use of this revolutionary communication mode in VHF contests.

WB2FKO