[VHFcontesting] Sept Contest

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Sept Contest
From: k1whs@worldpath.net (DAVID C. OLEAN)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:43:49 2003
Hi Dave,
    The genesis for my original post was the WSJT  mode, which apparently, is
a step up from the normal high speed meteor scatter. Essentially all of the
detection is done by the computer. The operator sits there and reads the copy.
I guess it is like rtty in that respect. It is very effective, but I think
about the League vs Peter Laakman, WB6IOM and G3LTF (I think) and their non
allowed 1296 eme QSO. (In the late 60s or early 70's) They did much more
receiving than a WSJT operator. I was just curious about what folks thought.
Hey, I'm game to try anything if it is legal and proper.  I will get to
playing with WSJT soon too. but I would agree that, in pursuing all the grids
thru "automated" modes such as WSJT, the more traditional microphone or CW
contacts would suffer.  I have shied away from HSMS because the operator does
not have to copy in "real time".  Heck, that eliminates the adrenaline flow
when that big meteor blows by and you fall out of the chair!
    When I was a kid, my first 144 signal heard was a weak and whispery am
signal. I was holding onto a limb up in the apple tree in my yard. My other
arm was holding onto a small super regen transceiver I had built and finally
got working.  Straining to hear that signal got me going in ham radio. I guess
I love the medium that is between the two antennas at either end of the
circuit. I love the mystery. I love to hear the fading. I like those hollow
sounds, and always wonder about how it sounds that way sometimes.  This is the
reason ham radio attracts me. I, as you, worry that such days may be numbered!
Soon we may all be watching computer screens and disconnected from the medium
that we love.  Gosh, progress is a two edged sword!
    I would opt for a separate contest for the automated modes. Of course, the
downside is that there are too many contests now!  Maybe there is another
answer. I just hate to see activity fall any more than it has now!

Dave Olean  K1WHS