Re: [TowerTalk] Amateur Radio Tower Ordinances

To: "[TowerTalk]" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Amateur Radio Tower Ordinances
From: JVarney <jvarn359@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2023 21:26:36 -0800
Bob -- You are on the right track. It's a creeping
problem where local agencies here in Calif have
adopted extensive "wireless facility" ordinances
requiring hearings, reports, and expensive fees
and the trend is for them to lump ham towers in
with them.

An ordinance I like is from the City of Tracy, CA.
In their zoning code under Telecom Facilities:

-- they differentiate between wireless facilities
and "important amateur radio installations."

-- they classify tower projects as exempt, minor
and major.  Under 'Exempt Facilities' they include
ham radio with up to two antennas on a tower of
up to 70 feet.

-- Exempt Facilities are exempt from planning review
and may be installed with only a building permit.

If the ham wants more than two antennas or to
go higher than 70 feet he can, but it's not exempt,
and would require planning approval.

I think this ordinance is quite reasonable.

73 Jim K6OK

p.s. -- Your city should also be made aware of
Calif state law Gov Code 65850.3 that says
local agencies shall allow ham towers with the
least amount of regulation possible.