Re: [TowerTalk] Words.

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Words.
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2023 15:25:22 -0700
On 5/29/2023 1:20 PM, Pete Smith N4ZR wrote:
Frankly, I don't think there's any need - the author of the Wikipedia article clearly was European (probably British) and apparently their usage and ours are different.

Well done, Pete!

For about 25 years, I've been Vice-Chair of the AES Standards Committee Working Group on EMC, a member of a half-dozen other WGs, and a principal author of a half dozen Standards. These are International Standards, so we often need to add clarifying language like this to cover both differences in use of words between cultures.

It's not unusual for these documents to take 3-5 years to hammer out. Our issues are not political, but simply achieving both a common understanding of the technical issues involved, and getting the wording to describe requirements in a manner that both they and the technical issues are clearly understood.

A key example was use of "shielding enclosure" as the proper termination point of cable shields, rather than talking about "grounding" it -- a connection to Mother Earth does NOTHING to provide shielding or the elimination of RFI.

73, Jim K9YC