Re: [TowerTalk] RF Surge Suppressor at Base of Tower or Shack SPG or Bot

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] RF Surge Suppressor at Base of Tower or Shack SPG or Both ?
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2021 13:20:45 -0700
On 10/15/2021 7:53 AM, Michael Tope wrote:
What about control cables coming down the tower? I just skimmed through the first edition of Ward's grounding book. It recommends bonding the coax shields to the tower, but doesn't say anything about control cables.

Hi Mike,

Bonding coax top and bottom is done to protect the cable, to keep it at the same potential as the tower, and I suspect it comes from practice in the commercial world for hard line. I inherited a piece of 7/8-in line from a de-commissioned AT&T Long Lines site that was carbonized from a lightning hit.

GDTs are recommended at the shack entry bonding point to protect control circuitry. I've not heard of them being used at the tower to protect rotators and switch boxes, but it's certainly not a bad idea. If done, it makes sense to do so close to those units.

73, Jim K9YC