Re: [TowerTalk] RF Surge Suppressor at Base of Tower or Shack SPG or Bot

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] RF Surge Suppressor at Base of Tower or Shack SPG or Both ?
From: "Lux, Jim" <jim@luxfamily.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2021 15:52:17 -0700
On 10/13/21 3:31 PM, Jim Brown wrote:

5) As to buried coax, the skin depth of soil can be pretty great. I've seen estimates from W8JI on the order of 60 ft at 2 MHz, probably a bit less at higher frequencies, and highly variable with soil types. I wouldn't count on burial a few feet to provide shielding from lightning induced currents, which can be monstrous.

Certainly, lightning currents will be induced on the *outside* of the coax that's buried.  And if you've got multiple conductors buried, they'll wind up with different currents and voltages. Skin depth in copper (i.e. the coax shield) is about 2.5 mils (0.06 mm) at 1 MHz.  RG-213 shield is about 15 mils thick, so you've got more than the traditional 5 skin depths, but, well, it's not a copper pipe, after all.