Re: [TowerTalk] HyGain 155CA dampening rope

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] HyGain 155CA dampening rope
From: Patrick Greenlee <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2017 08:50:07 -0500
Adding weight inside the tube will do nothing for vortex shedding. The mass loading will change the mechanical resonance properties, perhaps avoiding the natural frequencies excited by the vortex shedding. A rope adds mass and an energy absorbent quality (inelastic collision sort of situation with frictional losses.)

Attacking the vortex shedding directly is a different approach. One approach is to put a spiral wrap of UV resistant cordage on the outside of the element. (Fishing department at Walmart has UV resistant black cordage in various diameters.) Interior measures last much better than exterior ones. Dampening the effects of vortex shedding can be as good as eliminating the vortex shedding itself.

See also...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vortex_shedding#Mitigation_of_vortex_shedding_effects

http://www.spartaengineering.com/vortex-shedding-and-tall-structures/

Note the picture of a tall chimney at the first of the above URLs. It shows the spiral wrap solution clearly.

The cause and effect are the same for a vertical or horizontal cylinder (element.)

I'm just guessing at how cable inside an element dampens oscillations but I put my money on friction between the cable and the ID of the tubing in addition to mass loading that lowers the frequency of the mechanical resonance of the element, perhaps moving the resonant frequency of the mass loaded element away from the natural frequency of the vortex shedding.

Any mechanical engineer vortex shedding experts out there care to comment. I'm just guessing from a physicist point of view with what I hope makes some sense.

Patrick