Re: Topband: Using 4 - 6 elevated radials in lieu of 120 buried wires

To: Jeff Blaine <KeepWalking188@ac0c.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Using 4 - 6 elevated radials in lieu of 120 buried wires
From: Stan Stockton <wa5rtg@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2024 05:25:01 -0500
In 1980 based on advice from a friend who had done a lot of government antenna
work for WWV, VOA (I think), I put up 192 feet of Rohn 25G (!) solely dedicated
to 160 Meters and had 9 radials (3 from each tower leg) attached at 60 feet.
The tower, with 6 levels of guy wires all broken up with insulators into non
resonant lengths for all 6 bands, was located in the middle of a 5 acre plot of
land. Although the radials sloped down, the ends were quite high.  The top 132
feet of the tower was shunt fed.

It’s hard to say just how good it was because 44 years ago the competition was
not so great on 160.  However, I’ve never come anywhere near as close, before
or since, to thinking I had the best transmit antenna of anyone on any band.

Unfortunately due to a job situation I had to move about a year after putting
it up. But it was fun for a year or so.

73…Stan, K5GO/ZF9CW

Sent from my iPhone