Re: Topband: Using 4 - 6 elevated radials in lieu of 120 buried wires

To: Radio KH6O <radio.kh6o@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Using 4 - 6 elevated radials in lieu of 120 buried wires
From: Dave Cuthbert <telegrapher9@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2024 07:15:33 -1000
The paper  *A Closer Look at Vertical Antennas With Elevated Ground Systems*,
by Rudy, N6LF goes into great detail on the subject. Referring to Figure
13, which compares Ga (Average Gain) for radial heights of 8' and 0.5' at
3.65 MHz, Rudy shows a gain difference of just 0.2 dB. This is for a 68'
radiator. Figure 16 shows the height-to-gain curve becoming asymptotic at a
radial height of 0.01 wavelength. This is 5' for us topbanders. Figure 17
is a similar graph for, I assume, the 40 meter band, and shows that at
radial height of half a foot things start to look good. Rudy strongly
advocates using many elevated radials to avoid pattern asymmetry caused by
unequal radial RF current.

https://rudys.typepad.com/files/elevated-ground-systems-article-final-version.pdf

At home I have a 40/80 meter vertical having two resonant radials per band
8' above ground. For portable 160 meter operation NH6V and I have used a
slant wire vertical with two resonant radials 10 to 20 ft. above ground.

  Dave KH6AQ