Re: Topband: FW: The USA-CA Awards

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>, "jim@audiosystemsgroup.com" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: FW: The USA-CA Awards
From: AB2E Darrell <ab2e@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2023 02:36:09 +0000
Jim,
You point out what is really an inconsistent CQ rule for USA-CA (not allowing
LotW QSOs and requiring paper QSLs).
Of course this was the traditional way to submit when the program began and
they had the little blue booklet you filled in the details, and you get your
friends to view your cards and sign saying they've seen them.
Fast forward to now, CQ uses LotW to track and issue the WPX awards simply
using the LotW confirmations and you apply directly for their award via the
LotW site.

I mistakenly applied for the initial USA-CA award partially using LotW QSOs
(but had 2 friends verify) and was summarily rejected by CQ.
No big deal, but at this point I doubt I will sort through thousands of old
cards to pull out potentials for counties.

So I don't really see the reasoning, but maybe the logistics of doing so are
more than I am seeing.

73 Darrell AB2E