Re: Topband: The USA-CA Awards

To: "'Topband'" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: The USA-CA Awards
From: "Dave AA6YQ" <aa6yq@ambersoft.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2023 14:10:25 -0500
+ AA6YQ comments below

USA-CA, although a significant achievement, has very few applications, but many
participants.
CQ is not investing in USA-CA. CQ spent money to add WAZ and WPX in LOTW.
CQ's other awards do not generate enough $$ to be invested into LOTW
programming.

+ I don't know about LoTW support for WPX, as it was implemented before I
became a member of the ARRL's LotW Committee in 2012.

+  In 2018, CQ did not pay the ARRL to add WAZ support to LoTW; each team did
the required development work for their side of the implementation. If I recall
correctly, the ARRL does receive a percentage of WAZ award credit fees.

+ At the time, the USA-CA award sponsor was supportive of adding USA-CA to
LoTW, but after WAZ support was released ARRL management re-assigned the two
LoTW developers that the ARRL Board of Directors had approved in 2013 to other
projects: a second attempt at re-implementing the DXCC system (which failed,
like the first attempt) and rolling out the Personify authentication system
(which took 4 years, and now enables ARRL members to "donate, purchase and
renew in a single transaction"). There have been no ARRL developers available
to improve or extend LoTW since 2018; Rick K1MU has continued to improve TQSL,
which is an open source project.

+ IOTA, JARL, and WIA acceptance of LoTW confirmations is accomplished
independently of the ARRL - and with no revenue to the ARRL.

      73,

                Dave, AA6YQ