Re: Topband: K9AY Loop Questions

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: K9AY Loop Questions
From: Artek Manuals <Manuals@ArtekManuals.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2022 07:20:38 -0500
Comments below

On 1/7/2022 6:23 AM, Roger Kennedy wrote:
<SNIP>

But I picked up on people saying that EZNEC doesn't model these antennas
near the ground very well.

This is very true of EZENEC based on NEC -2....EZENEC PRO 4 based on NEC-4 depending on attention to detail and uniformity of soil conditions can produce results for models near ground that represent reality.  NEC-5 was intended to address  the lack of uniformity in the ground medium ( i.e having half your ground plane consumed by 3 story apartment building as an example) but the modeling could becomes quite an exercise. Unfortunately the father of NEC-5 passed away unexpectedly and left its development in limbo  and a fair share of questions and possible bugs. When last I talked to LLNL they were still searching for a replacement for Jerry

<SNIP>

I think part of the reason is that DX Propagation on 160 is usually much
higher angle than on 80m . . . but I also think that there is more low angle
radiation from my Dipole than EZNEC would suggest !

This is very true especially near gray line. I have noticed on numerous occasions the the F/B on my Beverage and BOGS becomes very poor at gray-line only to return to expected performance later in the evening. Popular wisdom suggests that most 160 DX occurs at 15-25 degree arrival angle . I suspect that gray line propagation arrives due to "ducting" at even higher angles. I am toying with the idea of building a loop on a gimble that would allow  rotation not only for azimuth but for elevation as well. I suspect however that I will find that the arrival angle can change quite rapidly making it hard to track and is one of the reasons for deep QSB

Dave

NR1DX

--
Dave Manuals@ArtekManuals.com www.ArtekManuals.com