Topband: Corner insulator of Inverted L

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Corner insulator of Inverted L
From: "Roger Kennedy" <roger@wessexproductions.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2021 19:34:10 +0100
I'm presuming that your setup is like mine . . . i.e. the exact point where
the wire goes through the insulator is not tied, it varies, has to slip back
and forth through the hole, depending on wind moving the tree branches, etc.

Now I use 24 strand copper, PVC covered wire for my antennas. I've always
found it to be the optimum strength to weight ratio for long spans.

Although it never breaks on its own, the trouble is that where it goes
through the hole in an insulator (and turns through 90 degrees) it rubs back
and forth in the wind . . . so eventually it breaks due to the sawing action
! (typically once a year)

The solution?  About 4 years ago I soldered a MUCH thicker 2 foot length of
PVC-covered wire - very flexible, about 40 strands, with even thicker
insulation - at the point where it goes through the insulator. (very easy to
suss out, as I was repairing yet another break).

Although this piece of wire is much heavier, that doesn't matter as it's
very short and supported by the insulator . . . and although it obviously
goes back and forth through the hole when it's windy, it has NEVER broken !

73 Roger G3YRO