Re: Topband: Corner insulator of Inverted L

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Corner insulator of Inverted L
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2021 13:35:14 -0700
On 9/25/2021 10:19 AM, Mike Smith VE9AA wrote:
For a little better access, I could've put the rope through a pulley, but
ropes tend to last longer if just going over branches around here....or so
it seems.  Ropes and wires through (cheap) pulleys tend to break them.

I've experienced exactly the opposite with wires rigged in my tall redwoods. Wires in these trees MUST be rigged with good pulleys and weights to allow for trees swaying in the wind -- without that, the first good wind will put those wires on the ground. My wires are rigged with the support rope tied down on one end and counterweighted on the other by about 95# of sand in a water bucket. I experienced that failure about ten years ago when I didn't rig that weight soon enough after the tree climber rigged the antenna. The wind came within a week or so, and the antenna ended up on the ground. In 15 years, with 6-8 wires rigged with pulleys and counterweight, I've had only one of them fall in a storm.

And here, rope rigged over a branch will eventually be worn through, dropping the antenna to the ground. This, of course, strongly depends on the trees, their structural characteristics, how high the antenna is rigged, and so on.

73, Jim K9YC