Topband: Inverted L's etc

To: "'topband@contesting.com'" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Inverted L's etc
From: W3HKK@roadrunner.com
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2021 17:55:35 +0000
1. Had a fabulous 95 ft Buckeye tree at the rear of my last property.
After staring at it for a couple years, it got me on 160m with a 1/4
wave Inv-L (apex around 90 ft) Top Band came alive with my 100w,
producing 550 Q's on the CQWW160 SSB contest. I was hooked on TB.

2. Winds. I had $5000 worth of trees planted on my current property (
3 acres, but just one 20 ft tree.) , including four 20 ft maples. The
guy asked if I wanted to guy them. I asked his opinion and he said he
thought it wasnt necessary.
So I didnt. Three weeks later we had a storm that dropped 4" of rain
followed by 50 mph winds. My four maples now were about 15-20 degrees
off normal, Still are..

3. A 100# Bow and arrow was used for years to launch polyester string
over 50-100 ft trees. At the last house, I was always very careful not
to shoot the arrow in the direction of any neighbors house, no matter
how far away. One day, as I released my arrow, the lead weights and
string I had tied to the tail of the arrow came off, and the arrow
damned near went in orbit. Lost sight of it, so I listened carefully
for a thud on a neighbors roof. To my great relief, No Thud. I never
even saw where it came down. But somewhere up the street, Im convinced
a neighbor came across a perpendicular arrow in his yard. Or maybe it
was in the adjacent golf course. Im not sure....

4. Per the above, "an abundance of caution" is never too much to ask
of yourself.