Re: Topband: Inverted L's etc

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Inverted L's etc
From: Stan K <k8ll.ham@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2021 13:40:56 -0400
"A 100# Bow and arrow was used for years to launch polyester string over
50-100 ft trees....One day, as I released my arrow, the lead weights and
string I had tied to the tail of the arrow came off, and the arrow damned
near went in orbit. Lost sight of it, so I listened carefully for a thud on
a neighbors roof. To my great relief, No Thud...."

I've used a bow and arrow for the same thing. Although the arrow was
modified so maybe it wouldn't be considered an arrow anymore.

I took off the arrowhead and instead attached a bolt, roughly 3/8" by 3", to
where the arrowhead would have been. Just a regular bolt like you use in a
hardware situation. Of course that slowed it down but I could still get it
as high as I needed it. Since it was heavier, even if the fishing line I
was using had broken it wouldn't have gone too far.
An advantage using the bolt instead of an arrowhead is that if I was
shooting through a tree I could tell by the sound if it hit a limb. Also
the weight of the bolt helped the arrow come down.
Accuracy was not real great but it served its purpose, and was relatively
safe.

Just my 2Hz worth.

Stan K8LL