Re: Topband: FW: CQWW a bust this year

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: FW: CQWW a bust this year
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2020 11:48:12 -0800
Yes. About 7 years ago, I bought a VNWA3E, designed by German EE prof DG8SAQ, built and sold by some hams in the UK. It runs on Tom's firmware and Windoze software, powered via the USB port that feeds data to the computer and controls the unit. It has an excellent TDR function -- you perform a wide frequency sweep, which it post-processes to perform an inverse FFT, yielding the TDR. Once the sweep has been made, it remains in memory, and five different windowing functions can be applied to yield the most informative view of the measurement. I recently used it to diagnose issues with RX antennas that occur annually with storms during what Californians laughingly call "winter." (All of our rainfall occurs between October and May.)

Tom's software also includes very useful and versatile math functions that can be applied to traditional VNA data, and can be set to compute and display multiple data sets from each measurement. When tuning filters, for example, it can display the filter response as gain, return loss, and SWR, and each plot can be scaled as desired.

I paid about $700 delivered to my door around 2013; thanks to Brexit, it's closer to $600. Build quality is excellent, and both Tom and the mfr read a support email reflector daily, responding as needed to issues. It's like the Elecraft reflector, with some very smart people, but with a lot less traffic.

73, Jim K9YC