Re: Topband: Ground Conductivity

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Ground Conductivity
From: "Augie \"Gus\" Hansen" <augie.hansen@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2020 13:17:52 -0600

On 3/25/2020 11:57 AM, Jim Brown wrote:
I don't know if it's still required today, but when I worked in broadcasting, each station using a directional antenna was required to make periodic field strength measurements in their nulls to proof their pattern.

Back in the 1960s when I was chief engineer at an AM station along the Rhode Island coast (Westerly) we had to pass periodic checks, not for nulls - it was a single stick - but for verifying the required signal strength over the licensed coverage area. The issue was the radial system that was in swampy land on the bank of a river where it dumped into the Atlantic Ocean. The salinity varied widely with river flow, tides, and seasons.

Gus Hansen
KB0YH