Topband: Slightly OT - amplifier noise

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Slightly OT - amplifier noise
From: "Roger Kennedy" <roger@wessexproductions.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2020 18:18:20 -0000
Having just read some of these posts, I just did a few tests on my MFJ-1025.
(bought mine second-hand very cheap - a lot of people buy these thinking
they will get rid of any noise!)

I modified it to become a 1026 . . . you definitely need the extra pre-amp
for the "Noise Antenna", especially on 160m - fortunately they use the same
PCB for both versions, so you can easily add their extra preamp circuit
design on the PCB.

I normally only use mine on 160m . . . but just did a test on 15m & 10m . .
. it adds no noticeable noise whatsoever !

So I think the OP's must be faulty . . perhaps powering it by a noisy PSU?

Roger G3YRO