Re: Topband: Slightly OT - amplifier noise

To: <n2ic@arrl.net>, "'Topband'" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Slightly OT - amplifier noise
From: John Kaufmann via Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2020 13:48:22 -0400
Steve,

An alternative is to do the cancellation with all passive circuitry.  You
can find some designs on the Web but you'll have to build them yourself. An
example (one that I built) is this one from WA1ION:
https://www.pa4tim.nl/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/passive_bb_phasing.pdf.
The drawback to the passive designs is the insertion loss.  The WA1ION
design works quite well but I've measured its insertion loss as about 12 dB.
That may not be acceptable in many situations, particularly on the higher HF
bands.

73, John W1FV