Re: Topband: Slightly OT - amplifier noise

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Slightly OT - amplifier noise
From: Greg - ZL3IX <zl3ix@inet.net.nz>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2020 11:27:39 +1300
I used one of these systems (homebrew WA1ION) for a  couple of years in the early 2000s. My problem was a speed-controlled water pump (local water authority) very close to my QTH. The pump was in the same direction as most of the wanted DX, so a nulling loop didn't work.

What I did was to erect a sense antenna as close as possible to the noise source and run the noise signal via a coax to the WA1ION box in my shack. Since the sense antenna was close to the noise source, the noise was very loud and could be (had to be ) attenuated before summing with the signal from the main antenna. The wanted signals picked up by the sense antenna were also therefore attenuated, and did not subtract from the wanted signals picked up by the main antenna.

I was able to achieve a very useful 10-12 dB of S/N improvement using this technique.

73, Greg, ZL3IX