Re: Topband: Hi Z amplifiers for 160m

To: Mikek <amdx@knology.net>, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Hi Z amplifiers for 160m
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2020 12:34:42 -0700

On 3/12/2020 4:29 PM, Mikek wrote:
   I'll stick my neck out and suggest Dallas Lankford's '2 FET amp'.

  If anyone has an interest, I have some more files in my computer.

https://www.okdxf.eu/lankford/Hi%20Z%20PPL%20Loop%20And%20Flag%20Arrays.pdf

                                                  Mikek KF4ITA

This seems to be the same old JFET source follower
that has been around forever, except it uses two FET's in
parallel.  Why not 3 or 4?

I completely fail to see why this amp would be superior to similar
designs already being widely used.  Can someone enlighten me as to
what is special about it, if anything?

My approach to the amplifier noise issue is to abandon 102 inch CB whips, however elegant, and instead use 30 foot monopoles with top loading, as a brute force tool. MUCH more signal coming in, in the first place.

Rick N6RK