Re: Topband: Hi Z amplifiers for 160m

To: Chris Moulding <chrism@crosscountrywireless.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Hi Z amplifiers for 160m
From: GEORGE WALLNER <aa7jv@atlanticbb.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2020 13:52:14 -0400
Chris,
Good choice.
Perhaps one note of caution. With a BJT input like this the input current noise may be more dominant, unless the input impedance is kept low.

Would be great to see the final design.

GL and 73,
George,
AA7JV

On Thu, 12 Mar 2020 10:10:44 +0000
 Chris Moulding <chrism@crosscountrywireless.net> wrote:
Thanks again for all the comments. Very interesting especially the reasoning
behind the designs.

The device I've picked for my design is the LTC6228. This is a new device by
Analog Devices that only came out late last year. The voltage noise is 0.88
uV/sqrt Hz and the current noise is 3 pA/sqrt Hz. Claimed output IP product
performance is <-100 dBc at 4V peak to peak output.

The device is available in SOT-23 package from DigiKey and Mouser.

I'm planning to use the imminent coronavirus lockdown over here in the UK to
get some PCB designs done.

73, Chris G4HYG