Re: Topband: EZNEC

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: EZNEC
From: Dan Maguire via Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2020 07:04:57 +0000 (UTC)
Bob wrote:
>>> The problem I’m having is I can’t figure out how to separate the radials
>>> from the vertical and put the source at the base of the vertical and the
>>> radials. All five wires are connected and I can’t separate them.

That has to be the #1 point of confusion for folks just getting started with
modeling.  With a "real" antenna there is a break in the wire where you want to
attach the coax, like in the center of a dipole or at the base of a vertical
with radials.

However, with a "model" of the antenna there is *no* break in the wire.  In
your case the vertical wire really should be attached to the radials.  You put
a "source" at the point where you would normally break the wire.  The source
serves both to apply power to the wires and to effectively "break" the wire at
that point, all in one.

As Mike mentioned, one of the sample models is "Vhfgp.ez".  Take a look at the
source placement in that one and you'll see there is no break between the
vertical and the (sloped) radials.  Or take a look at sample "Bydipole.ez".
Again, no physical break in the wire.

You might want to also read through the "Test Drive" section in the Help.

Dan, AC6LA