Re: Topband: COSMIC RAY UPDATE

To: Carl Luetzelschwab <carlluetzelschwab@gmail.com>, Nicholas Hall-Patch <nhp@ieee.org>, topband <topband@contesting.com>, Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Subject: Re: Topband: COSMIC RAY UPDATE
From: MICHAEL ST ANGELO <mstangelo@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2019 10:48:37 -0500 (EST)
I attribute the decline in participation to the raising noise floor and the
aging population of ham radio operators.

I been operating 160 since I moved to the present location form a city lot in
1998 and have noticed the noise level constantly raising. I've been successful
in noise sources in the household but most of my noise is external.

This is a hobby of mostly old men. The rigors of extensive antenna work and
operating during night periods becomes more challenging as we age. I am 67 and
retired this year and keep very active during the day. Getting up to operate in
the middle of the night or at dawn was easier when I was younger.

In addition, many of us are also downsizing to small lots or restricted
communities. Yes we can operate remotely but I like to operate in front of a
rig.

I don't want to be pessimistic, just realistic. Enjoy it while you can.

Mike N2MS