Re: Topband: 12V through coax

To: <tony.kaz@verizon.net>, tony.kaz--- via Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 12V through coax
From: GEORGE WALLNER <aa7jv@atlanticbb.net>
Date: Sat, 07 Dec 2019 17:02:15 -0500
Tony,
The component values are not critical, especially in a RX only application. The rule of thumb I use is that the reactance (AC resistance) should be 20 x the impedance for the choke and 1/20 for the series capacitor. With 75 Ohms, that works out to 1500 Ohms, which is a 135 uH choke. Anything over 135 uH will do as long as the current does not saturate the choke. (Even 100 uH will be OK.) Don't use a too high value choke (over 3 mH) as its self resonance, or resonance with some external capacitance, may be within your bands of interest. Also, higher inductance chokes generally saturate at lower currents. The capacitor's reactance should be less than 3.5 Ohms. A 0.1 uF capacitor has a reactance of around 1 Ohm at 1.8 MHz, so should e more than enough. (But, I don't think you would notice any difference using a 0.01 uF capacitor (10 Ohms).) Make sure the capacitor's voltage rating is sufficient, including any kick-back from the relay (which could be over 100 V peak).
GL and 73,
George,
AA7JV/C6AGU

On Sat, 7 Dec 2019 15:59:17 -0500