Re: Topband: 160

To: Topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: 160
From: "Gary Smith" <Gary@ka1j.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Aug 2019 11:44:39 -0400
To me, I lament little CW on 6M, lots of
FT8. I have my DXCC in CW, mixed & RTTY
but now it's Digital. I don't mind FT8 but
the issue to me is with the ARRL who
includes all Q's not CW or SSB as digital.
I would like them to have a separate award
for each.

I do use FT8, Use JTDX now but it's too
easy for me to love it. With CW SSB and
RTTY, you have to manually find the
station and adjust for the best hearing
many times, I like the skill in that. FT8
is a real contact but really, I keep the
rig on the FT8 frequency and hope to have
my computer work their computer. A valid
Q, but my effort was minimal & garners
little sweat equity in the accumulation of
contacts compared to the other modes.

I will keep working new ones with FT8 but
for me, they are in their own separate
category, just as CW, SB & RTTY are. My
Mother always used the "Cut your nose to
spite your face" motto when I would refuse
to do something I should because I was
stubborn, For me, not YOU, I'll do FT8 if
it's the only game in town at the time.

I made Honor Roll but want the last ATNO I
have left to be CW, I'll take FT8 if
that's all that's available, but for me,
the # will not be my ideal quality unless
it is CW.

My 2 pence...

73,

Gary