Re: Topband: Broadband DHDL

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Broadband DHDL
From: Ryszard Tymkiewicz <rtym@ippt.pan.pl>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2019 13:04:29 +0200
David & All,
I've been using broadside DHDL's since 9 years. The configuration was like is described in IV3PRK article :

"The distance between Deltas is about 95m. Resistors are 1250 ohm , tranformers 12:1 bifilar windings ,2 pieces of coax 75 ohm each one 50m connected together to transformer 2:1 and to 75 ohm coax. I used similar fishing bats...8m high but I removed the last thinest part , so they are 7,1 m high attached to 2m high steel elements. The wire is 0,7mm CU. "

Now I changed a few things...the distance between DHDLs is 85 meters , I made new transformers 12:1 with BN73-202 instead of toroids with bifilar windings. Also I changed "magic T" transformer to BN73-202. Answering your first question..the resistor is in the lower corner of DHDL just opposite of a transformer in my case about 2 meters from a ground. Answering your third question...in a broadside configuration you are using just two equal pieces of a coax and at least in my case "magic T " transformer
to connect them together. I use 2 x 50m of 75 ohm coax.
First I was using the antenna without a preamplifier but later I added 14dB gain Norton one and it is more comfortable when you have some gain. Without the preamplifier sometimes I was not sure if the system is working because a noise was so low. In my case these DHDLs have been much quieter than 300m beverage but I have soil with very good conductivity and usually beverages
are not working here very well.
So, thanks to  George AA7JV who described the single DHDL ( TX3A) and later Louis IV3PRK who wrote an excellent article about phasing them I feel I have really good RX antenna here thanks to them.

                                73 Rys
                              SP5EWY