Re: Topband: Broadband DHDL

To: "Rodman, David" <rodman@buffalo.edu>, topband@contesting.com <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Broadband DHDL
From: GEORGE WALLNER <aa7jv@atlanticbb.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2019 16:04:33 -0400
David,
I have modeled both side-by-side and in-line phased DHDL arrays, but I have only tested the in-line version. NEC indicates that a RDF of 12 dB is possible. The in-line DHDL array that I have tested was good, but I did not measure the RDF. For phasing I used a magic T splitter with one of its outputs going through 180 degree transformer. The "front" antenna had a longer feed-line to compensate for the propagation delay, which is proportional to the distance between the two antennas. (Allow for coax VF.) The DHDL receives from the transformer end. The terminating resistor is placed at the other end (back-end). For best results the antenna should be made quite symmetrical across its center. To get the best front-to-back ratio you can tweak the loading resistor. I use a small 1.8 MHz transmitter which is placed about 1000 feet behind the antenna. (The transmitter should be "outside" the near-field.)
73 and GL,
George,
AA7JV

On Sat, 27 Jul 2019 17:44:46 +0000