Re: Topband: RFI on TB

To: Mark - N5OT <r-emails@n5ot.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: RFI on TB
From: Tom <w1tc@arrl.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2019 09:15:19 -0400
Mark,

Are you ready to take the red pill or the blue pill?

If you take the red, be prepared to spend endless time and money, and the
experts on this list will help guide you down the 160m rx rabbit hole.

I was where you were a few years ago... then I started with a k9ay loop, slinky
antennas, BOGs,  short beverages, K1FZ beverages running into neighbors yards,
hi-z verticals, NCC-2’s, with no end in sight.

Somehow working stations like VI9NI on 160 at sunrise with no other callers
make it all worthwhile!

Good Luck
Tom W1TC

> On Jul 24, 2019, at 5:34 PM, Mark - N5OT <r-emails@n5ot.com> wrote:
>
> This has got to be on a case-by case basis.  I don't have any listening
> antennas, so i listen on my transmit vertical.  It works fine.  For me.  Most
> of the time.
>
> Would I hear more stuff with listening antennas?  I bet the answer is yes
> under certain conditions.
>
> 73 - Mark N5OT
>

>> On 7/24/2019 1:13 AM, Guy Olinger K2AV wrote:
>> I gotta agree with Rob. An inverted L aerial wire will hear ALL the noise
>> that is around. Mine sure does. RX antenna will help enormously if there is
>> a place to put one that does not get the noise second hand off the L. Not
>> enough room? A bit complicated, but "repeated" noise off the L can be dealt
>> with.
>>
>> The worst noises around here heard on my L were all repaired by the power
>> company. The nastiest noise was very hard to find, I actually never "found"
>> it by looking for it. Noise turned out to be from a bad splice in an
>> underground 13 kV cable going from the 13 kV delta overhead out on US 64 to
>> the transformer for my eastern neighbor and next house over. It would come
>> and go with extended cold weather, but never would correlate to sunlight or
>> darkness. I would hear it next to my transformer walking around with my
>> battery K2 and a rubber ducky. It would never locate to up on a pole (only
>> power noise that didn't).
>>
>> Finally the splice hard-arced, exploding the fuse up on the pole for the
>> neighbor's 13 kV feed, and taking those two houses off the grid. The noise
>> went away with the cannon shot noise. Blessed quiet on 160 and 80. I had
>> put up with that for almost four years.
>>
>> In the end, Duke Energy completely reran his AND my buried 13kV lines, and
>> replaced his transformer. 35 years in the ground, 35 year old cable design
>> and materials, and deficient in THEIR opinion. Was really fun to watch them
>> use this super-neat burrowing setup that went right UNDER the woods and the
>> creek (whole other story). Now I can hear the lesser noises on my L from
>> all over Apex and Cary :>)  Need RX antenna for sure. That way I don't have
>> to listen to the Cary, NC noise (NE) at the same time as the generally
>> closer and louder Apex, NC noise (S, SE).
>>
>> 73, Guy K2AV

>>> inv
>>> I would not use an inverted L for receiving.  Unusable for rx at my
>>> QTH but FB for transmitting.
>>>
>>> 73
>>> Rob
>>> K5UJ