Re: Topband: RFI on TB

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: RFI on TB
From: K4SAV <RadioXX@charter.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2019 10:43:56 -0500

Don't know why the mail system thinks this message is spam... Trying again.

Lightning surge suppressor on power poles can be big noise generators when they go bad. The worst one I found was three miles from my house and created S9 noise on my receiving array. Its characteristics fooled me at first because it didn't sound like something a power pole could generate. It sounded like someone holding down the dash lever on a keyer set at about 10 wpm and running continuously 24/7. Then one day I heard it break into a more random pattern. That's when I went looking for it.

Found it easily because of the huge noise signature. Called it in to the power company, gave them the pole number and which component on the pole was at fault. Went back home and turned on the radio and the noise was gone. Couldn't believe that so I drove back to the pole and they had already disconnected the surge suppressor. Best repair time ever.

I use an MFJ-856 to get close and a homebrew ultrasonic detector to identify the exact component on the pole. MFJ also now makes an ultrasonic detector, the MFJ-5008.

Jerry, K4SAV