Re: Topband: ARRL DXCC - 160 Meters - Station Location and Boundary

Subject: Re: Topband: ARRL DXCC - 160 Meters - Station Location and Boundary
From: Paul Mclaren <paul.mcl@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2018 14:13:23 +0000
Bill, Lloyd

You can overcome the audio mute on TX issue with the SDR Radio Console and
Server software from Simon Brown.  The Console software syncs with my rig
(TS590S) using Omnirig so can mute the RX audio on TX so you don't hear
your transmitted signal.  Some rewiring of the headphone cable allows radio
and PC audio through the same headphones .  For a club you could set up a
Server off site and share it among multiple club members with a decent link
to the Internet at the remote site.  There might be some latency but that's
better than nothing.  Only challenge might be band switching and the sample
bandwidth supported by  the SDR hardware but not insurmountable.

I run a personal setup like the above but have a P2P 5Ghz wireless link to
a spot 300 metres away in the fields away from the houses.  SDR is a Airspy
HF+ that handles a nearby AM broadcaster without front end overload so
works a treat on 160M.   I have a set of resonant wires and a 200m long
beverage at the remote spot.  It's battery powered and runs for longer than
most sessions I have time and I just drop it off when I need go on air.
Most importantly it has transformed my ability copy almost anybody calling
me on bands from 30m down to 160m.

Regards

Paul MM0ZBH