Re: Topband: Biodegradable staples

To: Topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Biodegradable staples
From: "Gary Smith" <Gary@ka1j.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 13:26:57 -0400
My 2 pennies...

regarding the "durability" of staples in
the wild; I'm an avid metal detectorist
using a detector that costs as much as a
new K3s. Iron has a particular
characteristic when detected as does other
metals like silver, copper & gold.

I usually ignore iron/steel readings on
the screen & the audible tones
accompanying it, just too many old nails
in the ground and they are everywhere.
However... an old bit of iron with a bend
in it can also register with the same
values as silver so I have to dig when I
find that.

You have no idea how many times I have dug
14" down only to find a 1/2" bit of wire
the thickness of a staple that has been
sitting for easily 100 years in acidic New
England soil. We think of things degrading
quickly but they do not. Thin bits of iron
will be around for a very long time.

As a side thing, the aluminum pull tabs
from the 60's ring up much like 14K gold.
Because I find hundreds of them I decided
to make one of the old "love chains" from
these that we used hang from the rear view
mirror back in the 60's. Those pull tabs
are in the same condition today as 40
years ago. Metals last in the ground a
very long time.

73,