Re: Topband: 160 meter L

To: doug49707@gmail.com, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: 160 meter L
From: Joel Gray <joelgray77@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2017 14:30:33 -0500
> I have a 75-80 1/4 wave vertical.  It has 20 1/4 wavelength radials. I
> would like to run an inverted l up the radiator and horizontal for the
rest
> of the radiator both antennas fed with same feed line. - Doug. WD8Z

I started out with a 1/4w inverted L on 160, about 55' high, the rest
horizontal.  I added an L network at the base for a better match given my
longish feedline.  I later added a 1/4w 80m vertical spaced about 2 feet
away with pvc spacers.  Actually, the last 10-15 feet are bent over like an
inverted L also.  They share the same feedline, and the 80m antenna
connects before the matching network.  I do not use any relays to switch
between them, both are always connected.  The modeling I did (4nec2) showed
that each antenna presented a relatively high impedance on the other band.
I viewed this as similar in principle to a fan dipole.  I do not know
whether the pattern is significantly affected by this or not.  With the 2
foot spacing, I did not have to make any significant adjustments to the 160
inverted L.  I cannot say whether closer spacing would work.  I assume it
would, although there would most likely be more interaction.  I use a good
common mode choke on the feedline (overkill perhaps?).  Both antennas load
up nicely.  Although I can't really measure field strength, I can say that
adding the vertical on 80m increased my country count fairly quickly so it
is working better than my inverted V at 55 feet.  My 160m performance
doesn't seem to be affected at all.  Good luck with it!
73, Joel
N9LQ