Re: Topband: 80m rotatable dipole load coil questions

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: 80m rotatable dipole load coil questions
From: Wes Stewart <wes_n7ws@triconet.org>
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2016 21:24:17 -0700
I am familiar with Alodine. It was used by the 100s of gallons of the liquid version to passivate the aluminum in the products produced by my former employer.

We also had the facilities to do this and other plating in our engineering shop. You can see some of my personal handiwork here: http://sadxa.org/n7ws.html

I can tell you that the "conductive" version isn't at 10 GHz. The prototype Phoenix missile solid-state amplifier that I was responsible for getting from prototype to production used an aluminum cavity with sixteen IMPATT diodes arrayed radially around the cavity. The cavity was machined into one piece of passivated aluminum that was closed with another. The power out and tuning was very erratic and could be changed by separating the parts, cleaning the surfaces with swabs and alcohol and reassembling them. We finally gave up and went to gold plating. Problem solved.

This is far enough OT that I won't elaborate on another example where gold plating can get you in trouble.