Re: Topband: 80m rotatable dipole load coil questions

To: Ray Benny <rayn6vr@cableone.net>, "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 80m rotatable dipole load coil questions
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2016 08:35:29 -0700
From a coil loaded 80m 2L yagi (bought JKantennas) and 80m rotatable dipole I built and reading here are some thoughts.

My rotatable 80m Tornado loaded 86' dipole at 100' doesn't have much of a pattern, height is everything and at about 130' or so they really start to play. The beam is at 157'.

Element gap isn't too important - wide enough to stand the voltage, strong, and UV durable. 2" is ok. A fiberglass solid rod with paint would work, or a UV resistant plastic sleeve over the FG. No steel or SS near the coil if possible.

IMO, there is very little loss difference with 1/4" tubing Cu vs Al. Good electrical joints are probably more important. Coil L/D ratio about 1 and turns spaced tubing diameter seems to be about optimal for highest Q. Any form will reduce Q, so best to avoid them and make the coil self supporting. I use http://hamwaves.com/antennas/inductance.html for a coil calculator, it gives you every value you might want.

Many other issues - truss connections, 3 way truss per Lesson's designs, wind load calcs, etc. My dipole truss is 2 phillystrans up to a 5' wide crossbar 5' up the mast. So far no problems, but in a treed area with modest wind loads. YagiMech predicts 85 mph survival w/o truss.

I'll send a coil picture offline.

Grant KZ1W