Re: Topband: beverage layout

To: Bill Hider <n3rr@erols.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: beverage layout
From: Mike Waters <mikewate@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2015 16:21:05 -0600
Hi Bill,

I see you have a wide vertical spacing (
http://users.erols.com/n3rr/photos/dual_ew-1.jpg).
I don't doubt that they work well, as you say.

I did a fair amount of analysis about that design in the past. I forget the
finer details, and I'm not in the mood for any more math and modeling
today, but I want to throw out an idea.

That design might work slightly better if the spacing wasn't as large, or
if the wires were side-by-side. The way it is, the ground underneath it
unbalances it somewhat. The Z of the upper wire to ground vs. the Z of the
lower wire to ground is unequal.

Exactly how much difference in F/B in the reverse direction that makes, I
don't remember. But in some situations, changing the spacing or turning the
wires 90 degrees might make the difference pulling a weak one out of the
noise and QRM.

Not picking on you. Just food for thought. :-)

73, Mike
www.w0btu.com