Re: Topband: beverage layout

To: Steve Baughn <baughn@centurylink.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: beverage layout
From: Mike Waters <mikewate@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2015 11:56:31 -0600
Hello Steve,

Ed has a point. I used to incorrectly refer to my two-wire,
switchable-direction Beverages as "bi-directional". Removing the far-end
termination resistor from a single-wire Beverage makes them mostly
bi-directional (about a 10 dB F/B).

As for your question # 1, please see
www.w0btu.com/Beverage_antennas.html#Proximity_to_Beverage_antennas
about not sharing the ground between two antennas.

To answer your question # 3, they don't have to be close-spaced. Some of
the best 160 meter stations use 6" (or more) spacing. However, the
transformer impedance ratios have to match the wire size, wire spacing, and
height above ground. Please see
www.w0btu.com/Beverage_antennas.html#How_far_apart

Wide spacing has some advantages, as well as disadvantages.

 - Wide-spaced wires probably shouldn't be run one over the top of the
other. And they could be more susceptible to imbalance from nearby metal
buildings, metal fences, etc.

 - Narrow spacing requires more spacers; I may try a 12" spaced Beverage
here someday so I don't need any spacers, just supports every 100'.

Please see my Beverage antenna information page at
www.w0btu.com/Beverage_antennas.html
as well as the links there to other Beverage antenna websites.

Whatever material you use will delight you. :-)

73, Mike
www.w0btu.com