Topband: beverage layout

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: beverage layout
From: "Steve Baughn" <baughn@centurylink.net>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2015 10:51:37 -0500
I am planning to put up two bi-directional beverages at my QTH. Being as this
is the first time I have had the real estate and time I have a couple questions
regarding same:

1) Since these will be running at 90 degree angles to one another, can the feed
points for both be relatively close to each other i.e. a few feet or so or do
they need to be farther apart?

2) I have read some contradictory material as far as type of wire to use for
these. A few sources say WD-1 field phone wire but then another says there is
fairly high loss in this. Same for 450 ohm ladderline who some say has its
drawbacks during rainy/snowy periods. It appears that electric fence wire may
be the best option given its durability (these antennas will probably be
running through the woods).

3) If I do go with the fence wire as I understand it the spacing should be
fairly close between the two wires such as an inch or so and mounted about 10’
off the ground. I am considering a metsl T post with pvc slid over it then
holes through each vertical pvc piece to run the wires.

I am located just outside Mount Vernon Ohio if anyone in the vicinity is an
authority on this any help would be appreciated.

Thanks much!

73,
Steve, WD8NPL