Re: Topband: ADC Overload

To: topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: ADC Overload
From: Barry N1EU <barry.n1eu@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2015 09:05:36 +0000
Thanks Mike for explaining the context!  I've done extensive weak signal
listening with an Apache Labs ANAN-100D (DDC SDR running OpenHPSDR
software/firmware) compared with a slew of highly regarded analog and
hybrid (dsp i.f.) receivers and if anything, the SDR betters them
slightly.  My subjective impression is also that the DDC SDR sounds
slightly "cleaner" with slightly less "grundge".

And a response to one of Mark's comments - the filter shaping in the DDC
SDR is not normally brickwall shaped.  The shape is configurable by
selecting dsp buffer size and there's a trade-off between receive latency
and filter slope - see http://anan-100d.wikidot.com/100d-buffer for
passband plots - my dsp filter slopes are on par with xtal filter slopes.

73, Barry N1EU