Re: Topband: ADC Overload

To: Barry N1EU <barry.n1eu@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: ADC Overload
From: Mike Waters <mikewate@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2015 20:35:07 -0500
Hi Barry,

Thanks for your input. Yes, I believe we included direct sampling digital
receivers (SDR) versus superhet receivers.

The post I made here today is not complete; rather that re-post everything,
I included a link to the early August discussion, which explained in detail
what I meant. This is what I asked:

"I'd like to know whether it's ever been established that some very talented
hams can out-hear the best SDRs and/or DSP available. Can a skilled
ear-brain combo (such as some highly-skilled and talented 160 meter
contesters) beat state-of-the art digital signal processing when it comes
to copying the very weakest of signals buried in the noise?

"I always thought Linrad was the best DSP software, though I never got it
working right here (older sound card issues in Xubuntu).

"I asked the following question at
http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php?topic=104388.msg861047#msg861047
: "Are there any people who can hear weak signals with a good analog
receiver, who --if they could instantly switch their antenna and headphones
from the analog RX over to the best SDR made today-- simply couldn't hear
any better with today's best SDRs and/or DSP software?"

"There's been a few opinions, but how about multiple valid tests?"

There were a number of replies, both on the Linrad and the Topband
reflectors. Sounds like you don't agree with most. What direct-sampling
receiver did you mean?

73, Mike
www.w0btu.com