Re: Topband: Which is best for copying the weakest DX - DSP or the ear-b

To: Greg Zenger <n2gz@gregzenger.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Which is best for copying the weakest DX - DSP or the ear-brain combo?
From: Tim Shoppa <tshoppa@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2015 11:58:10 -0400
N2GZ identifies fatigue is an important issue. A sort of acoustical
psychosis sets in if you listen to a static crashy band with the same
narrow filter for hours at a time. One advantage of having multiple filters
available (either analog or DSP) is that you can switch between filters to
help relieve this psychosis.

What's very nice about modern DSP, is you can dial the bandwidth up and
down very nicely. Not that this was completely unavailable with passband
tuning in older analog rigs, but the best DSP filters default to a very
nice shape that can reduce the "ringing" that also leads to acoustical
psychosis.

Crystal filters with Gaussian shapes to reduce ringing have been available
for decades, but not generally used in ham equipment. The reason? They were
not "brick wall" filters with sharp shape factors - and crystal filter
shape factors have been used in ham radio marketing for a long time.

The best of the DSP equipment available today has CW filters that are
inspired by Gaussian filter shapes. The shape factors are not as impressive
but the resulting filter is far more useful for CW guys in crashy low bands.

Tim N3QE