Re: Topband: Which is best for copying the weakest DX - DSP or the ear-b

To: "Mike Waters" <mikewate@gmail.com>, "topband" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Which is best for copying the weakest DX - DSP or the ear-brain combo?
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2015 08:58:48 -0400
I'd like to know whether it's ever been established that some very talented
hams can out-hear the best SDRs and/or DSP available. Can a skilled
ear-brain combo (such as some highly-skilled and talented 160 meter
contesters) beat state-of-the art digital signal processing when it comes
to copying the very weakest of signals buried in the noise?

Excluding time-synchronized signal processing methods, I've never found any DSP system do better or do more than an analog system in signal readabilitly.

They are really just different methods of doing the same thing analog systems can do.

I actually find DSP detector systems inhibit my ability to "hear" or copy noise floor signals in rough noise. I'm not sure why that is, but it is more difficult for me to piece together a signal that is in the noise when it has been detected in a DSP system.

I normally set my K3's so DSP filtering is wider than the analog filter at filter switch in, so I can change the DSP bandwidth from wider than any analog filter down to the DSP being narrower, but I still think analog detection is much better for signals below the level of rough noise.

73 Tom