Re: Topband: Brave New World

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Brave New World
From: W0MU Mike Fatchett <w0mu@w0mu.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2015 15:40:37 -0700
Really?

Many remotes use K3's with one of the radios being another K3 or scaled back version of a K3. You still sit at the radio and turn the knobs.

Remote radio has been around a lot longer than many think. It was only for the very well off to do it.

The internet is simply an extension of the mic cord and headphones.

How does this affect you anyway? Did K4VV bother you in the contest. If the article was never written you would have never known.

I would love to build a contest station in the Caribbean and operate it from home and save the round trip air fare, if it were all legal between countries etc.

What exactly did any remote operator do that was wrong?

You na sayers sound like a bunch of old ninnies who find things to complain about.

Remote radio opens up many doors to people that otherwise could not be involved with HF amateur radio. It keeps people on the air that want to move to townhouses or might have to move into assist living centers but want to stay on the air. Are these not great reason for remote radio or if you have a stroke and have to go to a nursing home you people would just rather the see guy go off the air. That guy might be you very soon. Think about it.

Mike W0MU