Re: Topband: HVDC

To: Lloyd Berg N9LB <lloydberg@charter.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: HVDC
From: Bill Wichers <billw@waveform.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2015 02:36:48 +0000
Many electric company employees' are from families that have worked in the
industry for several generations. If they worked in the plants they would be
near hundred+ megawatt generators for decades. No one ever worried about it or
saw problems.

To the original poster: the large transmission lines are generally well built
and well maintained since they are both very important to system integrity and
revenue. It's unlikely you'll see any RFI problems from these lines.

The HVDC conversion stations are usually thyristor based and operate at low
frequency (not even 1 kHz) and then have massive low-pass filters to "smooth
out" the sine wave they create. While I have no personal experience with these,
I doubt you'd have much noise coming from them. ABB is a very large
manufacturer of these systems and can probably provide you with information
about their operation if you ask.

-Bill KB8WYP

Sent from my iPad