Re: Topband: K1N DQRM Tracking Project

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: K1N DQRM Tracking Project
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2015 21:15:31 -0800
To put this in perspective, I have some familiarity
with surveillance systems used by government agencies
to search for sources of RF such as cell phones,
listening devices, etc in secure locations.  It has
some analogies to the DQRM problem.  Using relative
amplitude doesn't work very well to do RF location.
Using relative time of arrival works somewhat better,
but is also far from infallible.  Multipath is a
serious problem.

I also have some familiarity with systems used by
cell phones to determine their position for 911
when they lose GPS access.  Another difficult
problem.

It just doesn't seem like hams are going to do
what the professionals are still struggling with.

I think the idea of the DQRM is that we get lucky
and someone hears the interferer at 60 dB over S9
and can narrow down the offender to a few nearby
stations.

Rick N6RK